Friday, June 8, 2012

Day 1: Smash!

Ok! So I now live on the set of The Andromeda Strain.

My new doorway to the bedroom and bathroom. I'm pleased that someone thought to save my beautiful new bathroom.
They've done a really great job of draping everything in plastic, and the entire floor is covered as well. I'm very happy with how they did the prep. Bonus factor: easy DVR access.
And it begins! The cabinets come off.
*shudder* This is where some doofus came in several years ago to "repair" some water damage from the floor above and never bothered to cover over the huge hole he made.
Apparently there is zero framing behind this wall, and the cabinets were screwed into drywall. The crew said the cabinets were just itching to fall right off the wall. I wonder if the people in my building who paid three times what I paid for my condo have or know about these same issues. 

The sticker on the inside of the microwave says that it was manufactured in 1981. Let's pause for a moment of quiet reflection and appreciation of 31 years of unfailing and loyal service. I doubt my fancy new microwave will last half that long. Godspeed, Whirlpool Time Master. Godspeed.
Back to our regularly scheduled demolition. Here they've taken the cabinets out of the island.
And here we are at the end of the day. No more column! No more cabinets! No more island! Most of the appliances are gone!
But the best part of the day for me was discovering that the crew managed to save Mr. Pig Butt and every single one of his friends. Woo-hoo! Now I just need a brilliant idea of what to do with them.

There are a million more pictures of the state of the kitchen, but they mostly involve closeups that frankly I find hard to look at.

Day 2 will apparently involve taking out the floor. Fingers crossed that they don't discover anything too horrible like a dead body.

1 comment:

  1. Demo is AMAZING, isn't it? It's almost frightening the speed at which what once was a working kitchen is demolished into nothing! What I learned when the guys came to do the garage was - I want a Sawzall! :)

    Hmm....Tile Coffee Table? Inlay on one of the new cabinet doors? Several Trivets?

    ReplyDelete