Monday, July 30, 2012

Bathroom: DONE

I've recently decided that I'm going to refer to these past couple of months as The Lost Summer. The week before Memorial Day was lost to the bathroom remodel. I lost Memorial Day week to painting cabinets at the cabin, and the entire month of June to the kitchen remodel.

I don't remember exactly when the massive "derecho" hit the DC area, but during that storm a huge tree came down at the cabin, cutting off the driveway. We saw it and have managed to not deal with it for the last three weeks or so. Major heatwave hasn't helped. This is also why the cabinet kitchen has seen no progress.

It's a lot bigger than it looks.
Anyway.

The first half of July was lost to organizing. And then, just as I was getting ready to hunker down and start actually using my new kitchen, our AC died. We're in our second week of trying to suck cold air in from the exterior hallway with a fan. Fingers crossed that it gets fixed as scheduled the end of this week!!

So because I am insane, I figured that now would be the best time to paint the bathroom at the condo. I spent the day Saturday vacuuming out disgusting vents, spackling, and starting the taping process. Sunday I spent sanding, taping, and painting. And sweating. A lot.

I used the lightest color on the same paint chip as the kitchen color. It's a light green that verges on white and is super subtle.

Kitchen on the left, bathroom on the right.

The main selling point for me is that I didn't need to use primer, despite the fact that I was going from a super high gloss to a matte paint. I can't stress enough how awesome this paint is: Aura by Benjamin Moore. It's expensive but totally worth it.

I really, REALLY hate high gloss paint.
I have never figured out the function of this vent. Apparently back at the dawn of time someone tried to cover it up, then tore the cover off and left a nasty residue of some kind, and I just never bothered to paint over it until now.
Discoloring from some long-ago wall hanging.
I've very much been looking forward to putting in my new switchplate covers. A ridiculous amount of taping was required to paint a not huge amount of wall.
As I said, it's subtle. But it's matte! And it covered everything over.
New slate covers to go with the faux slate floors.
Better.

No comments:

Post a Comment